Quick Facts About the St. Louis Community Ice Center
The new Ice Center will serve thousands of St. Louis youth and adults. Located in Maryland Heights, a suburb of St. Louis County, Missouri, the facility will create exciting new travel and tourism jobs and economic development by attracting major traveling tournaments and other ice events to our community.
- The volunteer-led St. Louis Legacy Ice Foundation is working with state and local governments, local ice sports organizations, and skating enthusiasts to create the new St. Louis Community Ice Center.
- The Ice Center will comprise four ice rinks for all ice sports, a strength and conditioning center, and skills development areas unlike any others in the St. Louis area. It will include spaces for public skating, training, special events for athletes of all abilities.
- In addition to the hockey development facilities, an event center with more than 2000 seats will support local university and other ice sports programs (youth, amateur, adult recreational). A covered outdoor rink will offer an inviting atmosphere for the general public, where they can enjoy skating they did growing up.
- The Ice Center promises to become a premier sports/tournament location for the Midwestern United States, serving the region’s rapid youth hockey expansion (expected to double by 2020). As the only four-sheet facility within 500+ miles, The Ice Center will be a destination for hockey tournaments and other ice sports, drawing players and families through the Midwest and potentially nationwide.
- The biggest winner overall will be the regional economy, which will enjoy a significant and lasting boost through expenditures on hotel nights, restaurant meals, and local leisure and entertainment offerings.
- The St. Louis Community Ice Center is an important community collaboration to the future of youth hockey and other ice sports and to increasing recreational opportunities for St. Louis residents.
Hockey Growth in St. Louis
- The St. Louis area has tremendous enthusiasm for professional, youth and recreational adult hockey participation; however there is a shortage of ice rink space to accommodate the booming interest at convenient locations and reasonable time slots.
St. Louis Legacy Ice Foundation and Community Collaboration
- The non-profit St. Louis Legacy Ice Foundation is building and will operate the facility on a fixed lease. The St. Louis Legacy Ice Foundation brings together local men and women whose board appointment and mission is to serve their community, the sport of ice hockey, other ice sports, and many more fitness and wellness that will be at home in the new facility.
- The Ice Center is the result of committed community collaboration with an eye to the future.
To learn a little bit more about all facets of the St. Louis Community Ice Center, click here to view our handout.